And I sought for a man among them that should make up THE HEDGE, and stand in the gap before Me for the land... Ezekiel 22:30

Monday, April 13, 2009

The Day After that Sunday

The book of Job (19:25)
For I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last He will stand upon the earth.

The Gospel according to John (20:26-29)
Eight days later, His disciples were inside again, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you."
Then He said to Thomas, "Put your finger here, and see My hands; and put out your hand, and place it in My side. Do not disbelieve, but believe."
Thomas answered him, "My Lord and my God!"
Jesus said to him, "Have you believed because you have seen Me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."

The first letter from Paul to the Corinthians (15:1-5)
Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you--unless you believed in vain.
For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that He was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures, and that He appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve.

Homily
The knowledge that our Redeemer lives can revolutionize people's minds, hearts, and actions as it moves from their mind to the rest of their life. Thomas, though skeptical, had his doubts removed in dramatic fashion. And in the same moment compliments those whose faith does not require such dramatic interventions by God, but rather believe the dramatic words of God. "According to the Scriptures" is a popular refrain in the New Testament. They were witnesses that God's Word was startlingly true.

Prayer ...

Note
These won't be daily, but weekly at best. Thank you for reading these as they profit me as well.

No comments: